Get the Look: Modern Salon Photoshoot
Posted on Jul 08, 2015 by Free Spirit
Last December, Creative Director Adrian Gutierrez and Educational Director Kim Hyo flew to New York to participate in photoshoots with Modern Salon Magazine. The resulting looks were absolutely stunning, and we’re so excited to share them with you all. We went directly to the source for the scoop on how you can recreate them at home. Congratulations, Adrian and and Kim!
For Kim’s shoot, she created a softy romantic style that harkens back to Hollywood’s Golden Age. We love this look for summer weddings or any other formal events on your calendar.
Source: Modern Salon
To recreate it, follow Kim’s steps:
- Prep the hair with an application of Kérastase Ciment Thermique, an excellent priming product that protects hair from the heat and smooths cracks and split ends.
- Apply Forme Fatale, a light gel that provides all over volume, to help you hair hold its curl.
- After blowdrying, use a 1 inch curling iron to curl the hair. “It’s important when curling to make sure every strand is curled in the same direction,” says Kim. “That way, when you brush them out, they’ll fall together nicely.” Pro Tip: If your hair doesn’t hold a curl well, pin each curl until just before you head out.
- Brush curls gently with a soft brush to blend together.
- Pull hair to one side and spritz liberally with hairspray. Kim used Kérastase Lacque Couture, a strong-hold hairspray that ensures long-lasting style.
For Adrian’s shoot, he created soft waves—with a seriously envy-inspiring color accent.
Source: Modern Salon
- Once more, start by prepping with Ciment Thermique It’s the best!
- Apply Kérastase Spray Volumifique at the roots to add lift and texture.
- Next, apply Kérastase Mousse Bouffant throughout the hair to thicken individual strands and create weightless fullness and structure.
- Blow dry, then use a curling iron to curl the hair away from the face in a vertical spiral. “This method is very simple, but very effective,” says Adrian.
Adrian added color using a rainbow of hair extensions in shades including teal, mint green, pink, and purple to create accents in her existing color “to create accent in the canvas of the color she has.” Extensions are a great temporary option for adding color without damaging your hair. Perfect if you’d only like to experiment!
We hope you enjoy making these looks your own!